Mid-Senior FX TD
Outpost is opening a new Los Angeles studio to supply high-end visual effects to clients locally, in addition to supporting the company’s global operations.
We are on the lookout for a talented mid-senior FX TDs to join our new LA team in 2021.
You will be working with both proprietary and commercial tools to create a range of effects using fluids, cloth, particles and rigid body dynamics.
Responsibilities and Duties
• Handle high complexity bespoke FX for shots and show an ability to find and match to reference.
• Author tools and setups that are stable, tidy and as simple as possible. Be able to provide documentation and support to the artists using them.
• Have an exceptional understanding of physics and cameras to replicate real world phenomena to a high level.
• Ensure any tools or setups you’ve made are allowing the team to hit their own deadlines.
• You are proactive about developing and improving the projects Fx, through technical workflow improvements and artistic refinement.
• Work closely with Supervisors, Production and 2D team to achieve the director's vision
• Be present and vocal in all relevant dailies sessions, setting an example of the Outpost culture in terms of professionalism and quality/creative reviews.
• Excellent knowledge of Houdini and the use of fluids, cloth, fur, particles and/or rbd’s
• Experience in creating photorealistic effects such as fire, smoke, destruction, clothing, water and dust.
• A thorough understanding of simulation techniques and technologies relating to effects.
• A solid understanding of the requirements of other areas of visual effects, from modelling and lighting, to rigging and animation.
Additional Desirable Skills
• Experience using Shotgun on productions.
• Programming skills with Mel and Python is ideal
• A good working knowledge of Arnold and experience with lighting and rendering effects is an advantage.
• Broader Generalist skillset (please indicate on application)
• Strong problem-solving skills and an ability to trouble shoot pipeline issues as well as being able to resolve shot-specific technical challenges independently.
• Able to share knowledge and techniques with other artists.
• Participate in creative and technical discussions.
• 3+ years 3D industry experience as an FX TD working on high end film, TV or commercials.
• Los Angeles, US
Due to Covid-19 you may need to be able to work from home at the beginning of your appointment. However, if offered a position you must be willing and able to work in our LA studio. If shortlisted for an interview, you will be asked some questions to assess your homeworking capability.
• TBC 2021
• Depending on experience
How to apply?
• Send a short cover email to: [email protected]
• Include your Demo Reel, Portfolio and CV
• Specify what role you would like to be considered for in the subject of the email.
All applicants must be eligible to work in the US at the time of applying. Visa candidates are not being considered at this time.
Click here to read our Candidate Data Protection Privacy Notice.
At Outpost we believe that our strength lies in our differences. These help us to take different perspectives, challenge norms and create a special environment based on mutual respect. Outpost is an equal opportunities employer. Employment with us is based on a person’s extraordinary talent and potential. No candidate will receive any less favourable treatment based on their age, gender, race, ethnicity, disability, sexual preference or any other factor that has no bearing on an individual’s ability to perform their job.