Lead Layout Artist
We are on the lookout for a talented Lead Layout Artist to join our team to help us deliver some exciting high-end film and TV projects which we have on the horizon in 2021.
You are responsible for leading the Layout stage of a VFX shot & creating the highest possible quality of work across a broad range of disciplines and styles, throughout various high end projects in film and TV.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Lead and supervise the layout team in executing the layout of shots.
- Guide the layout team in interpreting and conceptualizing the film script according to the Supervisor’s instructions
- Manage layout team to create scenes and shots by placing characters, props and environments according to the storyboard/previz. Put the characters in key poses to define their actions and movements
- Help layout team define camera angles and animate them, if applicable
- Adapt shot staging according to the composition
- Assist with the technical set up of assigned sequences, troubleshoot any problems on shots, and responsible for continuity and flow within and between shots.
- Pass off clean and easy to understand layout Maya and Houdini scenes, with correct naming and use of assets, to other artists further down the pipeline
- Maintain timing and production quotas given by the Production Coordinator
- Execute the corrections requested by the Supervisor by showing an analytic mind
- Organize work and prepare presentation elements for approval
- Play an active part in dailies and other creative feedback sessions, and thoroughly understand the 3D contents of each shot that requires layout
- Provide input if needed with design and bidding of projects in relation to the Layout needs.
- Provide mentoring and training as required.
- 4+ years’ experience in VFX layout and camera tracking essential working in visual effects for high end live action feature films or TV.
- Proficient in using Maya, Houdini & Unreal Engine.
- Ability to use to a basic level Nuke and Photoshop
- Ability to use Excel and Word as part of the organisation of the layout process
- Experience using and giving feedback with Shotgun
- An understanding of all aspects of the VFX pipeline.
- Full understanding of photogrammetry and ability to edit/refine scanned data, E.G Lidar geo.
- Ability to fully understand camera workflow, and quality control the cameras as they form the basis of the layout scene. Knowledge of match-move software is desirable. This would include manipulating any cameras into a shared single environment if needed at the sequence level
- An understanding of basic rendering, to allow for an Arnold based layout daily creation.
- A good eye for detail and ability to work under pressure, implementing changes that may come from multiple sources.
- A passion and awareness for image composition, and general cinematographic styles and techniques.
- Ability to work within strict deadlines
- Positive & collaborative attitude, with a keenness to encourage and maintain an upbeat atmosphere.
- Pension contribution
- Wellness benefits
- Free Friday beers or non-alcoholic drinks for all (once we return to the studio!)
- Company sick pay
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
- Generous holiday entitlement
Due to Covid-19 you may need to be able to work from home at the beginning of your appointment. However, if offered a position you must be willing and able to work in our Bournemouth studio. If shortlisted for an interview, you will be asked some questions to assess your home working capability.
How to apply?
- Send a short cover email to: [email protected]
- Include a copy of your CV
- Specify what role you would like to be considered for in the subject of the email.
All applicants must be eligible to work in the UK at the time of applying. Apply now
Click here to read our Candidate Data Protection Privacy Notice.
At Outpost we believe that our strength lies in our differences. These help us to take different perspectives, challenge norms and create a special environment based on mutual respect. Outpost is an equal opportunities employer. Employment with us is based on a person’s extraordinary talent and potential. No candidate will receive any less favourable treatment based on their age, gender, race, ethnicity, disability, sexual preference or any other factor that has no bearing on an individual’s ability to perform their job.